New Android device

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

New Android device

Post by Jonathan »

Kingdom Rush Frontiers
Requires Android
4.0 and up
Alright, time to pick a new phone! I have sort of been waiting for Merrifield phones but I don't really have a reason why.

The camera is pretty shitty on the Atrix 4G. I'm not convinced I care, but a better one would be nice.
Android 4.0+ would be a requirement, but not a difficult one. I would like a handset that gets some damn OS updates, too. That has been my biggest problem with the Atrix 4G. It kept working well past the time it was a development target.
A Body Glove case is more or less a requirement, as that is why I have used this one for as long as I have.
Battery life should always be long. Replaceable battery is a plus but not a requirement.
A 4.0" screen is too small. A ~275 ppi is ok, but I would like to exceed that.
Skin temp should be reasonable during playing games.
Game FPS should exceed Atrix 4G: easy on enthusiast phones, not sure if easy elsewhere.
Stylus? Maybe!

What am I forgetting?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: New Android device

Post by Jonathan »

LTE. Definitely a requirement.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Crazy, according to Mohtalim I bought this phone only 2.5 years ago! It feels like I have had it forever.
http://jonathan.pearce.name/mohtalim/vi ... rix#p25706

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://m.techradar.com/news/phone-and-c ... es-1177910

Kit Kat keys you set the default SMS app. Messenger is just about useless, so this would be really good to have.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Just got a Samsung Galaxy S5. It is within one mm of the length of the Nokia 770, which I find striking. I can use it one-handed, but I have big hands.

I like the KitKat task switcher but I miss my dedicated search button. The screen is nice.

The Snapdragon 801 seems like a good match for LTE. Web browsing seems fairly balanced between rendering time and loading latency.

Sometime I talk to Google Now, but mostly for the comedy value.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I should clarify that the comedy value is because I am commanding my phone to be my bitch, not because Google has any difficulty understanding me even when I use proper nouns like the name of a restaurant. It is actually a bit freaky how accurate the speech recognition is.