iPhone 2.0

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Alan
Veteran Doodler

iPhone 2.0

Post by Alan »

Oh my God so awesome.

Yes, that is my article about this topic. And yes I had to start a new thread about it even though there's another iPhone thread because it's like I have a brand new phone without buying anything.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: iPhone 2.0

Post by Dave »

I bet 3.0 will have an access port that has 4 different levels of vibration.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Specifics? I haven't synced mine in months.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Mostly for the 3rd party applications. If you have a jailbroken iPhone then that probably doesn't matter too much to you. There are a couple pretty cool free apps already that I foresee using frequently.

Remote - because sometimes I am too lazy to move and walk to my computer to change what iTunes is playing at the moment. The interface is pretty much identical to the iPod player on the iPhone.

ePocrates - medication info, used to use it on my Palm before it broke. The iPhone version includes the ability to look up medications by what the pills look like, so now when patients tell me they take, "That little round yellow pill with the line in the middle" I'll know what they mean.

Pandora - streaming music, even over EDGE. It's practically like having XM.

Shazam - samples music with the microphone and tells you the song, artist, and album.

YPmobile - location-based yellow pages, displays restaurant reviews and links to Maps.

VoiceNotes - voice recordings

reQall - server-side dictations, automatically adds the text versions to a calendar (not the iPhone calendar unfortunately), ToDo list, shopping list, or notebook depending on what you dictate.

Aurora Feint - similar to Puzzle Quest, uses the accelerometer though. http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/12/first ... beginning/

And of course applications that are interfaces for various web sites, RSS readers, etc. And stuff I haven't explored yet.

There are some non-free <$10 apps that are pretty useful

FileMagnet - requires Leopard at the moment, which I don't have. Will be adding Tiger support soon though. Basically turns your iPhone into a flash drive that can also display documents (including PDFs I believe)

AquaForest - pretty awesome game. Actually less a game than a physics engine. But still fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpGdRH7J5I

Bomberman - it's Bomberman.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Oh, and also, push e-mail.

and soon iCall - free VoIP. http://icall.com