New Hobby

Posts you want to find years later go here.
quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: New Hobby

Post by quantus »

I agree that an iPhone5s is probably good enough for 80+% of photo taking at this point. Extremes (lighting, zoom, etc...) are always going to be "better" with a specialized device. Just the margin of difference in the situations that matter to most people is continuously decreasing. The iPhone3G/GS cameras weren't really tolerable, but around the iPhone4s generation, you started to get to ~50% acceptable. I'd expect to be at 85-90% with the next generation and see the death of consumer grade handheld cameras in about 3 years. With computational photography, that might be hastened. The compression of time from photo taking to sharing is also an undeniable benefit. There's also auto-backup of photos which a camera wouldn't do ordinarily with a MiFi storage card, but it's just an app as far as the phone is concerned.

Anyways, the direction of the Galaxy NX is where standalone cameras are going to need to head I think... Then we just need multi-device data plans that aren't incredibly expensive.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I've seen the Olloclip version a couple years ago and they were pretty good with the ipad image stabilization at the time. Pretty expensive though back then. My phone at the time couldn't use it and I couldn't borrow my wife's phone for pictures too much, so not worth the expense. I might contribute to this kickstarter though. It'd be nice to have lens options once in a while. No flash with the lenses though from the looks of it. Anyways, that still leaves low light conditions as the main missing use case to get better at.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo ... /denoising

Denoising to the extreme using depth in noise characterization to identify the noise pixels precisely. They claim 4 stops improvement in IQ.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://sansmirror.com/newsviews/state-o ... rless.html

Good overview of the lens options available for all the different interchangeable-lens mounts, both DSLR and not.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

So, when I'm not being tempted by robots with cameras I like to check out what the traditional cameras are up to. Full-frame mirrorless from Sony with ISO 204800, anyone?

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

So...you can take photos of moving objects in total darkness then?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

The challenge of low-light photography is dead and Huawei killed it https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/1/18290 ... ode-photos

Kind of silly that a phone has a depth sensor when no standalone dedicated camera does.