I dont have enough time on my hand... A new project!

Posts you want to find years later go here.
Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

I dont have enough time on my hand... A new project!

Post by Peijen »

One of my stock paid a large dividend (and the value dropped by the same amount), and in the process of figuring out what to do with this money I came up with a new idea.

Wouldn't it be cool to create a portfolio tracker that you can share with others and see how well each other's portfolio is doing and borrow ideas from them. All the free trackers I saw online are nothing more than ticker tracker, and it doesn't allow user to share their portfolio. Maybe I am not looking hard enough (I only spend 5 minutes googling it).

Give me some idea what it should do. And if you have found a tracker I can use then post the link here.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Found a solution or coded one up already?

Is the data publically available to code this yourself? I would have thought that they sat on it pretty hard.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Of course I haven't been working on this. Nor did I find anything close to this.

I believe there are some public stocks feeds you can use for this, especially if you are not doing it real time.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

It'd should be pretty easy to write a cgi that stores a portfolio and then use yahoo or google's code to just grab the quotes. I doubt they locked it down too much...
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Should impliment it into the forums as polls so we can have a fantasy stock market every month where we can see who can make the biggest gains! yes!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I would get right on that, except I don't particularly want to learn PHP enough to write a plug-in for phpbb. Peijen?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I invested in Sony instead of Nintendo last year. Because I was bored.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.