Buying a House

Posts you want to find years later go here.
skanks
Poser

Buying a House

Post by skanks »

I'm considering Buying a House.

I thought it would be useful to have an archieve descibing various strategies and resources. Feel free to add information.

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

I'm in the Pittsburgh market. I think the best strategy for me is to buy a shitty place, improve it to being a decent place using the labor of illegal immigrants, and then try to fake the rest of it by strategically decorating with Ikea furniture. I want to keep total costs below $30,000.

Northwood.com contains all properties in the "Multiple Listing Service" and allows you to search by Zipcode. Very useful.

Hooksvanholm.com lists properties for sale by the HUD (Housing and Urban Development). You can find some real cheap places here. It also has downloadable .doc files containing the findings of a housing inspector.

Map of PGH Zip Codes

Google Maps Good tool to keep in mind

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

reosource.com bids itself as "America's Hottest Foreclosure Properties"™

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

skanks wrote:I'm in the Pittsburgh market. I think the best strategy for me is to buy a shitty place, improve it to being a decent place using the labor of illegal immigrants, and then try to fake the rest of it by strategically decorating with Ikea furniture.
Just to be clear: is this topic about buying a house to live in or flipping a house for profit?

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

Dwindlehop wrote:Just to be clear: is this topic about buying a house to live in or flipping a house for profit?
live in.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

You doing that PhD program at Pitt then?

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

still unknown. The only started reviewing the graduates. I won't be buying a house in Pittsburgh unless I actually get a funded position in the department