Toilet Reviews

Posts you want to find years later go here.
VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Toilet Reviews

Post by VLSmooth »

Here's some amusing (frightening?) info I dug up while choosing new toilets:

Terry Love's Consumer Toilet Reports
The above seems to be an amazing site, as strange as that sounds. It references the following:
  • Maximum Performance (MaP) Testing of Popular Toilet Models,
    A Cooperative Canadian and American Project
    5th Edition, September 2005
    ( pdf )
Here's an excerpt from the pdf:
Non-realistic test media (sponges, plastic balls and beads, kraft paper, etc.) replaced with
combination of extruded soybean paste and wads of toilet paper. Most agree this media more
accurately replicates “real-world” demands upon a toilet fixture.
Also, yes, the pdf has pictures.

The models I'm interested in are:Drake Pros
  • Cheaper
Ultra ProsInteresting VideosUseful LinksI'm going with the drake, after I found out it has a Sanagloss option. I'm still debating on replacing all 3 in one shot (saves a little cash), or installing only one and "field-testing" it first.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

"Daddy, when I grow up, I want to be a toilet design engineer and stare at computer simulations of toilets flushing all day!"

Toto toilet design engineers: Living the dream.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

More on Japanese Toilets! (Since you all want to know. Admit it!)
The current state of the art is bidet toilets, which, as of 2004, are installed in more than half of Japanese households.
As of 2002, almost half of all private homes in Japan have such a toilet, exceeding the number of households with a personal computer.
number of additional features, such as blow dryer, seat heating, massage options, water jet adjustments, automatic lid opening, flushing after use, wireless control panels, heating and air conditioning for the room, et cetera
the latest models store the times of the use of the toilet, and have a power saving mode that heats up the toilet seat only during times when the toilet is likely to be used based on the collected usage data. Some toilets also glow in the dark or may even have air conditioning for hot summer days.
The toilet that watches you and wants to be seen!
researchers have added medical sensors into these toilets, which can measure the blood sugar based on the urine, and also measure the pulse, blood pressure, and the body fat content of the user.
Now that actually sounds a little cool.
The Sound Princess
You'll need to read to (maybe?) understand that one.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

VLSmooth wrote:Since you all want to know. Admit it
Actually, what I want to know is if you're ever going to read a fan-fic on how to get a real life and maybe actually larp that fan-fic for the rest of your life.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

quantus wrote:Actually, what I want to know is if you're ever going to read a fan-fic on how to get a real life and maybe actually larp that fan-fic for the rest of your life.
Sounds like a strange desire. Maybe you want another hobby?

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Desire is too strong of a word. It's more like a passing interest in keeping you from wasting my time with the state of the art in taking a dump.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

As a heads up, all 3 toilets were installed on Monday and work like a charm.

I highly recommend Toto Drake toilets with Sanagloss. (b'.')b

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Toilet Reviews

Post by VLSmooth »

Since relatives have been asking me for toilet advice, I might as well add a quick update.

Maximum Performance (MaP) toilet testing is now serious business. The latest results can be found here:
http://www.cuwcc.org/MaPTesting.aspx
Because the FULL MaP TESTING REPORT has become so large (93 pages), we offer the capability to download ONLY the APPENDICES if that is all you require.
The full 15th edition MaP report (Oct. 2009) weighs in at a respectable 4.0 MB (pdf) and contains more about soy bean paste test media specifications than I expected (pg. 14/93). My four Toto Drake ELs (CST744S with SanaGloss) are standing proud with a strong MaP Flush Performance of 900 out of a maximum 1000. (pg. 47/93). This is still quite an accomplishment since they are (quiet) gravity toilet as opposed to the more complex compressed air models out there.

tl;dr, Toto toilets are still awesome.