I think it's back to normal

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

I think it's back to normal

Post by Jonathan »

My web host upgraded to a new version of PHP, which deprecates some calls inside the old version 3.0.14 of phpBB that Mohtalim was running.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: I think it's back to normal

Post by quantus »

Works for me! Good job upgrading.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I had auto-update on for the forum, but it wouldn't do an update from 3.0 to 3.3 automatically. So we drifted pretty far from the current release.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

When I went to upgrade to 3.3, I made a categorical error of thinking the phpBB2 database tables were the current ones, so I kept generating all manner of nasty errors that made no sense except when you try to install phpBB3 on top of a phpBB2 database.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I got pretty far trying to diagnose and fix these database errors before I thought to look at the raw tables in plaintext form. From that, I quickly realized I was trying to restore posts from pre-2008. Afterwards, I searched for Alan's posts on bicycling since I was confident those were from the most current database (and "fondo" is a real distinctive word), and found the correct tables to restore.

Once I pointed the forum software at the phpBB3 database, the upgrade worked out of the box, beautifully.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I’m glad my bicycling diary turned out to be useful!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I was worried, so I tried to search for Jon's Tik Tok account and found he was still dancing in skimpy outfits so I knew Mohtalim would still return!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.