just going to stop reading Reddit

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

just going to stop reading Reddit

Post by Jonathan »

Some companies, like Reddit, have been content to let their platforms be essentially free-fire zones where almost all political beliefs, no matter how racist or misogynist, are welcome.
https://newrepublic.com/article/144386/ ... -supremacy

This quote is the truth. And you think, well, I'm not going to those subreddits. I'm going to the decent subreddits!

The fact of the matter is they've very explicitly decided to give hate a home. I'm not going to reward them for that, so no more reddit clicks.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: just going to stop reading Reddit

Post by quantus »

Jonathan wrote:
Some companies, like Reddit, have been content to let their platforms be essentially free-fire zones where almost all political beliefs, no matter how racist or misogynist, are welcome.
https://newrepublic.com/article/144386/ ... -supremacy

This quote is the truth. And you think, well, I'm not going to those subreddits. I'm going to the decent subreddits!

The fact of the matter is they've very explicitly decided to give hate a home. I'm not going to reward them for that, so no more reddit clicks.
I dunno. I think they're better off giving users tools to control filters to remove that crud than make them blanket everything as banned. I'd kinda rather them stay somewhat visible where they can be monitored than force them underground where it's harder to track them. I'm all for annotating hate speech for what it is and pointing it out to people who seem not to get it. I'd rather not push us down a slope toward rampant censorship which can later be usurped by an unethical government for a quick takeover of speech in general.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: just going to stop reading Reddit

Post by Dave »

How else am I supposed to know if there is a leaked Game of Thrones episode out and I can get it before they start tracking IPs!?
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.