Curved monitors and distortion

For general rambling.
VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Curved monitors and distortion

Post by VLSmooth »

Distortion has been holding me back from getting a curved display. Fortunately someone took the time to explain this here (link) so I wouldn't have to!

However, thanks to nVidia's Pascal, I wonder if Lens Matched Shading (LMS) made possible by simultaneous multi-projection (SMP) can let me have my cake (curved monitor) and eat it too (without distortion). Here's an Anandtech link on SMP and LMS for reference.

Unfortunately, I've found no information regarding enabling LMS for curved monitors (e.g. enter the curvature radius). Sadly, I think it's a developer-level feature and I'm not sure how to follow-up or learn more.

Any suggestions on learning more, being able to compensate on curved monitors, and/or good gsync monitor suggestions better than the Acer X34{A,P} and Asus PG348Q?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Curved monitors and distortion

Post by Jonathan »

VLSmooth wrote:Distortion has been holding me back from getting a curved display. Fortunately someone took the time to explain this here (link) so I wouldn't have to!
The math is fine when you talk about images not produced by a sensor (e.g. spreadsheet or emacs). Is your monitor your primary video display? I can't find a multimonitor setup that works for me in the office and I think a curved monitor would help.

That said, the viewing distance mismatch is real and problematic.

The Nvidia features you listed are exposed via API. Somebody would need to write an app to process your movie or whatever and apply them. It's possible Nvidia or OEM card manufacturer might produce such a thing, in which case you'd look at the featureset of their bundleware crapola.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

But does your curved monitor support HDR and G-Sync?
http://www.thecountrycaller.com/3728-nv ... -ces-2017/

I guess you'll just have to wait until that's integrated too...
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I got a http://www.dell.com/hr/business/p/dell- ... monitor/pd for work. It's curved.

It's actually lower resolution than the 28" UHD monitor I had been using. But that one has such small pixel pitch have to scale the display to use it. This one I can use unscaled, so it feels like more pixels. I can definitely feel the difference in sharpness. Why can't I have tiny pixels and a bigass monitor?

The FOV is wider than I can comfortably read with just eye movement. I have to move my head.

Jury is still out on the curvature. I haven't opened a video on it yet.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Update
  • I got my Asus PG348Q (tftcentral) on 2017-01-17 and it's been working great for me (wow, it's been over a year now).
  • My MSI GTX 1080 does well on it, but I could definitely make use of more GPU power.
  • At work I use a 3 column 2 row setup of 1080p 24" dell monitors; I'd prefer fewer larger monitors though!
p.s. Whoa, going back to phpbb markup is nostalgic, I'm much more used to Discord's (link) markdown now (link)