Windows 8

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Windows 8

Post by Jonathan »

Anyone thinking about getting a machine after Win8 comes out? Or is everyone here a big fat red "NO"?

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Windows 8

Post by quantus »

NO except I may get a cheap machine to test it on or get a Tegra Tablet to try dual booting Android and WinRT. I wish they'd put Office on the ARM WinRT devices, but looks like they won't. Some pieces of it will get adopted in future versions of windows, so can't completely ignore it unfortunately.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

My desktop's only 1.5 years old and my laptop is not even one, so neither one's ready for a refresh.

I've hated everything I've read or heard about Metro, at least in the context of desktop and laptop systems.

When Windows 7 came out, I found I loved the ability to reorder the taskbar, and kind of liked some of the Media Center improvements. Those two minor features were enough to get me to buy copies for all of my systems. I haven't heard about any comparable improvements in Windows 8. I'm sure they're there, but the Metro hype drowned out everything else back when I was still reading about it. And now, I'm just not interested enough to investigate.

So, put me down for a near-term no, but eventual yes.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

No.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Judging by Vista, probably no. It's not that Vista was a bad release but it has many breaking changes, and people hate breaking changes. I actually used Vista for work for a while and it's about the same as 7, and everyone think 7 as the pinnacle of awesomeness for whatever reason. But I am very tempted to get the Surface tablet, for my wife, yes for the wife ...

As for metro UI, as the only person with Windows Phone on the planet I actually like it a lot.