2012 Computer Notes (advice welcome!)

For general rambling.
quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: 2012 Computer Notes (advice welcome!)

Post by quantus »

VLSmooth wrote:And with that I'm the only one of the 7 Dave asked about not to [be] mentioned!
Mr. Universe
Jonathan wrote:Whatever, I sewed this up in 2002.
I think Dave meant that you're currently disqualified, so you have to try again. If you get married by 2017, you'll still be on track for most years married.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Vinny needs to meet go to an anime convention with a potato sack and bring one home (hopefully not a dude). Worst case order one from China that is quiet and fast.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

A little late, but apparently I can get a discount on EVGA products like this: http://www.evga.com/epp/moreinfo.asp?Pa ... P4-2678-KR

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Hey Vinny, I know you got other things to worry about right now, but what's the total cost for your new computer?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Check the first post, vinny is his usual meticulous self as far as tracking and updating the status of his babies. I feel sorry for his future children!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I don't run my system at stock speeds. Of course, I had to get a better cooler because I seriously spike the temperature of the chip when doing transcoding (95C!). Now it runs at a balmy 65C under max load at 4.4GHz. I could probably overclock further now, but haven't re-run the auto-overclock feature on my mobo.

I think this is more of a reason to do away with the K versions of the chips and let the mobo manufacturers compete on overclocking features for those that want them. If Intel really wants to sell the K versions and capture more of the enthusiast price premium pie, then they need to do a better job of locking down the non-K versions so the mobo's can't manipulate things like this.

Also, mobo benchmarking is busted with this "feature".

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I am very disappointed you have not updated the first post Vinny.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

So I ordered a HP workstation and some additional parts using this thread as a guide for the extra stuff like UPS, memory, SSD and ended up picking a Samsung 840 Pro 256 because it had a free copy of assassins creed 3. Best reason ever.

But basically got a HP for te warranty and then add 32 GB ram, SSD, and maybe a better quadro in SLI if I can justify it.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I'd like to say I got my workstation today and apparently I needed to buy REGISTERED ram. Epic fail? Most definately. It didn't say it needed ECC but apparently skipped the part where i couldn't just use any stick on sale. Good thing no one will notice how dumb I am when I order some more RAM.

Also, I may need to order a 2.5" SSD adapter kit from HP for $40 because of their plasticy bays. Or find some cables and tweezers.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

This is what you get for buying a workstation!

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

The last 4 posts should be trasnfered to a new thread : "Dave Fail++"

So I bought a faster video card as well since the premium HP charged was +$300 over what it cost from newegg... but of course the power supply has exactly the number of power cables needed for the purchased configuration, so now I need to buy some SATA > Molex > pcie power to hook the new card up. Amazon has a SATA > pcie one I am also going to try out.

Thanks for laughing.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Just apply your awesome Diablo 3 auction house skills to flip the computer at a profit and buy a better one. Or fight some elite engineers and hope for a lucky random drop.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

So is it worse now that I've bought $25 worth of cables i don't need after discovering power cables tucked into the fan enclosure? At least I have a lot of spare parts lying around.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

Looks like none of my computers will get replaced this year. But, I did just replace my desktop's six-year-old main hard drive with an SSD. I'm living on the bleeding edge. Same Samsung model Vinny bought a couple pages ago, but they were clearing them out to make room for the shiny new 840 line, so I got it for $149.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Looks like my 2009 Gaming PC is dying, it keeps trying to close all my programs and shutdown. If I hit escape in time, I prevent it, but I assume it is my PSU dying. I switched out RAM and videocard, and the PSU has been making some clicking noises occasionally.

What's the latest budget PSU recommendation? I may consider going fanless... or just get a mid range "gaming" laptop.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I have a Thermaltake which predates 2009 and is still going strong.

For a true "budget" PSU you would need substantially less system to power.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

According to the newegg psu calculator it recommends a 600w! Radeon 5770, 4 HDs, etc

It's sitting outside my case now and working more stable, so we'll see!

edit: I caved, my computer tried to die again while I was backing stuff up, bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151095

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Dave wrote:According to the newegg psu calculator it recommends a 600w! Radeon 5770, 4 HDs, etc
Jonathan wrote:For a true "budget" PSU you would need substantially less system to power.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Looks like it was the PSU, everything seems stable after redoing all my bird's-nest wiring. Looks like I'll be stuck with am i5 and ATI 5770 for a few more years.