Poser

DMCA Bullshit

Post by skanks »

Man, today Comcast hit me with some DMCA bullshit:

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: NA0000036309870
Report Date/Time: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 20:52:59 -0600

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

Has this happened to anybody else? I was just minding my own fucking business, conducting myself in the same responsible manner that I did back at CMU, and then I get an email from my internet provider with some bullshit about a downloaded movie. How do people deal with this? I can't get mixed up with the MPAA.

edit for google-worthiness (jdp)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: DCMA Bullshit

Post by Jonathan »

Comcast is pretty bad about that shit (also rate-limiting and traffic-shaping). Get yourself a real ISP lickety-split, is the first step.

Are they seeking damages?

Catriona was sharing a Comcast-backed wifi connection with someone else. The owner of the account received something similar a year ago. Didn't amount to much other than a warning to stop doing whatever caused the copyright owner to get all pissy, but she can't confirm it was the exact same sort of request.

I believe the MPAA hasn't taken anyone to court yet? I think that's only the RIAA.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: DMCA Bullshit

Post by Dave »

I got a similar thing back in AZ where they told me to click a link and make sure i deleted a movie I supposedly downloaded and call up their customer service which proceeded to tell me I had used up 1 of 3 strikes before they disable my account.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

I knew of a person that got two similar messages; things seemed to be cool after he stopped sharing stuff both times.

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

I guess the question is what can I do to avoid getting another DMCA warning? How can I still get the downloads I need without exposing myself to potential liability?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan wrote:Comcast is pretty bad about that shit (also rate-limiting and traffic-shaping). Get yourself a real ISP lickety-split, is the first step.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tor&ie= ... =firefox-a

http://jonathan.pearce.name/mohtalim/vi ... ent#p23433

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Tor is a bit slow and not fool-proof. There have been talks about how to compromise it. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anony ... Weaknesses
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads