daily awesome

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: daily awesome

Post by Jonathan »

The Touch is my alarm in the morning. I greet each day with unrivaled intensity.
related but different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g3vQ35gTes

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Beach sex is the third best kind of sex, behind elevator and White House.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Man let me tell you, if I get out of here... I'm going to do so much fucking cocaine.
Yay Walton

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I like my sluts like I like my boigas. Cold and bloody.
http://chainsawsuit.com/2010/08/04/boig ... -2-part-3/

Go commenters!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Orgy attendees can have sticky fingers–literally and figuratively.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://basicinstructions.net/basic-inst ... -race.html
Aside from cheese, Oregon's sole purpose is to filter out all but the most determined Californians.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Jonathan wrote:http://basicinstructions.net/basic-inst ... -race.html
Aside from cheese, Oregon's sole purpose is to filter out all but the most determined Californians.
Yeah, you'd have to be pretty determined to screw up your life to move up to Washington. Heck, moving up to Oregon would already be pretty bad. Ah, I love temperate sunshine without crappy humidity.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

What'd be awesome is if I could borrow about $250 million for a day interest free to buy about 10 million shares of Wells Fargo before Nov 5, to collect the $0.05 dividend and give it right back to them to pay off my mortgage.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

quantus wrote:What'd be awesome is if I could borrow about $250 million for a day interest free to buy about 10 million shares of Wells Fargo before Nov 5, to collect the $0.05 dividend and give it right back to them to pay off my mortgage.
It doesn't work like that. There is recorded date, ex-dividend date, and actual pay date. From recorded date to actual pay date takes about 4-6 weeks. If you buy before recorded date and sell between ex-dividend date and actual pay date you will receive the dividend, but you have to pay it to the person that bought your shares. It's even weirder if you sell between recorded date and ex-dividend date.

I might have these date and consequences wrong, but the general idea is there.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

By and large, the problem with California isn't California — though it is too dry — but rather Californians. ;)

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Jonathan wrote:By and large, the problem with California isn't California — though it is too dry — but rather Californians. ;)
Analogously, people don't really have a problem with the South — though it gets too humid — but rather the southerners who live there, especially those that grew up there and later moved to other regions to infest them with metrosexuality.

I really don't understand what people have against Californians. We're happy and generally not trying to rain on anyone else's parade. If it's our politicians, I'd move that politicians (state- and federal-level) from any state be excluded from being grouped with the rest of the people of that state on the grounds that politicians aren't "people".

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

quantus wrote:I really don't understand what people have against Californians. We're happy and generally not trying to rain on anyone else's parade.
You are not representative of the average nor the majority classification of Californians. Therefore, you can not be used as a reference set.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Jason wrote:
quantus wrote:I really don't understand what people have against Californians. We're happy and generally not trying to rain on anyone else's parade.
You are not representative of the average nor the majority classification of Californians. Therefore, you can not be used as a reference set.
Ok, I'll give you that, but it also doesn't really help identify what the representative set is. My guess is that most people think of Californians when they really mean Southern Californians who are disproportionately represented on TV because of Hollywood. As far as I can tell, there are essentially 2 or 3 main groups in California--SF Bay Area Northern Californians; Southern Californians a la San Diego, LA and Santa Barbara; and Central Valley people from places like Fresno and Bakersfield, who often get grouped with Southern California since they both tend to lean conservatively. I'm actually kinda confused by California being portrayed as liberal, since it's the conservative Southern Californians that people generally see on TV. Maybe because they're always railing against the rest of the state making the liberal bias seem more skewed than it really is?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Girl: You don't have a smoke by any chance, do you?
Dude: No.
Girl sees me, standing by my bike while wearing full rain gear and helmet.
Girl (sotto vocce): I know you don't have a smoke.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

Jonathan wrote:Girl: You don't have a smoke by any chance, do you?
You: I got something you can smoke on (nodding towards crotch)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Peijen wrote:
Aaaand there's your awesome for tomorrow.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Peijen wrote:
I was kinda thinking you could follow that up with:
You: Wanna ride? ... On my bike, what were you thinking?
Although that'd likely have the wrong effect with a bicycle rather than a motorcycle...

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

"I'd abolish the estate tax tomorrow, cut corporate taxes in half and phase out capital gains taxes, and then have a beer," says Joe Walsh, the Republican nominee for Illinois' 8th Congressional District. "I'm one of those knuckleheads who believes that every time we cut taxes, we increase government revenues."

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

"Wealthy people are not stupid, they resent paying 40% of their income to the government," [John Ellinwood, director of communications for Jesse Kelly, a Republican running for Arizona's 8th Congressional District] said. "But they don't resent paying 10%, so they'll actually engage in more productive activities."

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Jonathan wrote:
"I'd abolish the estate tax tomorrow, cut corporate taxes in half and phase out capital gains taxes, and then have a beer," says Joe Walsh, the Republican nominee for Illinois' 8th Congressional District. "I'm one of those knuckleheads who believes that every time we cut taxes, we increase government revenues."
"Wealthy people are not stupid, they resent paying 40% of their income to the government," [John Ellinwood, director of communications for Jesse Kelly, a Republican running for Arizona's 8th Congressional District] said. "But they don't resent paying 10%, so they'll actually engage in more productive activities."
Quotes like these really bother me. Come on poor and middle class Republican lackeys, can you please see how these things are not going to help you?!

Income needs to be taxed no matter how it is earned. How long 'til the wealthy resent the 10% and ask for 2.5% then 0.625% then ...? Also, long term cap gains is 15% right now, not 40%. Are the wealthy sad that they take a huge hit in a downturn whether they leave money in the market; or try to take it out or move it around quickly to get hit by short term rates instead like the middle class is saddled with? Too bad wealthy people that you can't get tax breaks all the time and that life turns out fair for the country once in a while.

The estate tax is necessary. The American Dream is based on allowing people to succeed by working hard. The corollary is that people should not succeed and be wealthy just because their parents are wealthy--they too need to work hard if they want to stay wealthy. The estate tax is meant to enforce that corollary. Unfortunately, trusts have helped bypass that idea at least for 1 generation. Abolishing the estate tax will destroy the American Dream by perpetually concentrating wealth with certain families and give rise to an elite class that'll essentially be modern day royalty.