Song they had that I could not find:
The Bad Touch

Song I "sang":
You dropped the bomb on me

skanks
Poser

Re: Karaoke

Post by skanks »

Ok listen up because skanks is going to school you on Karaoke greatness.

First point, and this point is very important, is pick the right song. Chances are that you cannot sing very well but don't let that stop you. You just need to keep this in mind in song selection. You want songs that can be "sung" just by talking with a bit of an accent and few inflections here and there. Good artists include Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Lyle Lovett, The Eagles, Willie Nelson. Maybe Bobby Darin if you can do the crooning bit. My secret Karaoke weapon fits into this category.

Second point, Never ever choose Bohemian Rhapsody. Don't try AC/DC either unless you really know how to rock.

Final point, and its one I learned from Willie Nelson, if you really want to make a statement, you got to hold something back. You do get points for shamelessness, but no points for belting beyond your ability.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

My theory was that I could sing the blues, man. Lots of refrains, not too much range, and I can drawl all day long. However, I couldn't find any blues to sing on short notice.

If I knew any Willie Nelson songs I might could go there. Johnny Cash is way the hell out of my range and I have zero confidence in my ability to successfully translate a half-remembered tune in my head across a few octaves.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Incidentally, the guy who attempted The Bad Touch sat down before half the song was done having only attempted a single chorus and none of the verses. That should go on the Do Not Attempt list, too.

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

I'm wondering which Johnny Cash song you're thinking of where he's traveling octaves. Lots of songs like "Wanted Man" are mostly just one note.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

No, no, I am saying that one note is really down low. My ability to harmonize is perilously close to zero. If I get anywhere it's because I mimic.