iPhone 2009

For general rambling.
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

iPhone 2009

Post by Dave »

So in my restless need for new toys and/or ways to waste money, I was thinking about switching from Verizon and join the 'cool' crowd with the fancy smart phones. My contract is over and I've got a year to go for a new phone. (Using an LG Chocolate now)

Any idea when the 2009 iPhone will be coming out and if it would be retarded for me to get a 3G now? I've read some guesstimates on the new one having video recording, HDTV, 64Gb, divx, etc.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: iPhone 2009

Post by Jonathan »

I think the main reason to wait would be for real competition and not so much the upgraded iPhone. I have no special knowledge of the rumors, but without x86 I personally am not interested in an upgrade from my current iPhone (not 3G).

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... s-unveiled
Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Intel's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yea, I was thinking at least the new palm would result in a 50-100$ drop. Any opinions on 8GB vs 16GB? How much space do you actually have to play with after the functional stuff like OS/google?
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Got a 8gb 3G one yesterday. Gonna take some getting used to!

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Haha you managed to hold off on buying it for one whole day.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Well I was considering it for a while when half of the people at my new job used iPhones. So now I have a shitload of random apps to figure out if its worth using and any worth paying for.

It was depressing putting my stock portfolio into an app and seeing how fail my current postions are heh.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

So any apps worth buying? I was considering Tetris hehe

I do like the cheezeburger lolcats

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

iBearMoney's a good budgeting app, it was on sale for $4.99 when I got it, not sure if it still is.

Wikipanion is a free wikipedia app, my favorite of the ones I tried out.

Air Sharing lets you transfer files over WiFi to your iPhone, and also lets you view most document types, video, and music.

Urbanspoon is pretty good for restaurant reviews and such and is free.

Aroundme pretty similar to Urbanspoon but also has banks and grocery stores and stuff like that.

If you use instant messaging pretty frequently, I recommend BeejiveIM. Expensive ($15.99) but if you have push e-mail (like yahoo) it keeps you logged in and will send you an e-mail when you get a message through AIM or gchat or whatever.

Easy Wi-Fi is convenient (and free) if you go to Starbucks or Barnes & Noble frequently.

Free Wi-Fi (is free) and helps you find free hotspots.

And of course make sure you get Shazam, Pandora, and whatever other highly rated free apps show up on the top free apps list.

Gamewise:

1. Fieldrunners - think it's required if you have an iPhone and want to play games on it.
2. Galaxy On Fire - kind of like Freelancer
3. Orions (yes, plural) - collectible card game slash conquest game

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Fieldrunners is pwn!

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Mashing the screen umpteen times in a row will not have deleterious effects on your phone. No, not at all!

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Uniwar is pretty fun. Kind of like Advance Wars. It's 99 cents right now, a release promotion or something, price will go up to $7.99 after the promotion finishes.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Supposedly Hero of Sparta is a good hacknslasher.

I'm still focused on getting past level 249 on Field Runners.. damn helicopters

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Level 349 Grasslands.. easy... this time it was the damn motorcycles! Had the firepower for the fliers.. jus tnot enough goo... booo

I give up.

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

Apple is probably timing the announcement of the new iPhone to coincide with the release of Palm's Pre. I was thinking about getting a Pre ever since CES. The Data Aggregation seemed like it could be a revolutionary feature.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

http://toucharcade.com/2009/04/25/world ... -for-real/
http://toucharcade.com/2009/04/24/team- ... or-iphone/

I just found out today that my residency program is giving us all iPhones. Hopefully it'll be after the new ones come out.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

WoW on iphone would be a terrible terrible terrible idea for me. Worms I will probably buy though. Once of the few 1pc multiplayer games I ever played.

Anyone use the Pageonce Personal Assiatance app? Or something similar?

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I use Mint.

From the screenshots, Pageonce looks better. Haven't tried it though.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Yea, I figure if the smart phone is gonna do everything may as well check my online statements.

It is just convient to have all 4 email accounts on the iphone and hit one button to check em all. Even buzzes when I have an outlook appointment

Of course, I get annoyed looks when I refuse to let people play with the iphone because I say I have personal shit on it.