Netbooks?

For general rambling.
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Netbooks?

Post by Dave »

Anyone have one or got any opinoins? I have an expiring Dell coupon I was considering using on something.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Netbooks?

Post by Jonathan »

Oddly enough, no. I have some professional opinions about the market segment, but other than that.. I don't know anything about the specific products nor do I know someone with one.

The stranger with an Eee I talked to did not like the version of Linux on it.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Well I bought a netbook (Dell one). I like it, runs winxp fairly fast, plays most medium bit rate movies/tv shows (has trouble with some mkvs) and does the normal email/chat well once I got used to the funky keyboard. 16GB HD is kinda low, but enough for the normal programs/documents and I use a 16GB usb flash drive for the non-required data.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Dave, are you still happy with the dell netbook? I have an expiring dell coupon and was deciding between getting one of these or something else. How's the battery life?

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I like it, it takes a while to get used to the semi-retarded function keys because I personally use ctrl-f4 / alt-f4 / shift home&end a lot and you have to hold an additional Fn key to enable the F and Home keys. Getting used to a touch pad again was hard since I like the little nob control better on my last laptop.

Batterylife is decent enough. I could watch a few divx videos (office then house) and battery went down ~25%. Runs everything I care to alright. Even Google Earth runs ok even at a non-standard resolution.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Cool. Thanks for the info.