retraction

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

retraction

Post by Jonathan »

I have, in the past, claimed that Portland has the most all nude strip clubs of any city. Recently, journalists I trust have stated that Portland has the most strip clubs per capita of any city regardless of all-nude status. Oregon does have vagina-friendly laws (Oregon: more, please), but that doesn't seem to be a consideration. Other municipalities have more strip clubs in absolute terms.

I regret the error.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=6093
And what of that "most strip clubs" boast? Our Internet survey of Las Vegas, the gold standard of urban debauchery, reveals 30 clubs, which works out to 5.85 strip joints per 100,000 residents. San Francisco, that legendarily libidinous burg, is estimated by SF's adult weekly, The Spectator, to have 17 strip clubs, or 2.2 per 100,000 residents. By comparison, Uncovered and Exotic list 41 strip clubs within the Portland city limits. With a whopping 7.74 clubs per 100,000 residents, Portland solidly trounces these two centers of vice in number of brass poles per citizen. In your face, San Francisco!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Strangely, Portland does seem to win in absolute terms as well as per-capita.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

So, now that you're so proud of your fair city, do you actually take advantage of these sights?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Eh? No.

I bet New York City probably has more in absolute numbers.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I dunno about that... Giuliani cleaned up Times Square and got rid of a lot of that sort of thing :cry:

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: retraction

Post by Jonathan »

http://scotteden.net/stories_fantasies.html
Thirteen strip clubs conduct their business in this part of Illinois. All are located in four municipalities in St. Claire County—Sauget, Brooklyn, Washington Park and Centreville. The towns lie within a ten-minute drive of downtown St. Louis and a half-hour sprint on 64-40 from the suburbs of St. Louis County, which slouch west for thirty miles into the Missouri woodlands. The clubs do business in a part of the bi-state area known locally as "the Metro East," a region that holds as its dystopian centerpiece the city of East St. Louis. When compared with other places around the country with similar "adult entertainment" districts, the Metro East does not, on the surface, stack up. Houston has somewhere near forty clubs, Atlanta near twenty, and Louisville about the same. Portland enjoys the nation's most prolific striptease industry, boasting, at last count, sixty-eight clubs, owing to the Oregon Supreme Court's louche interpretation of obscenity law.
The press is all over the map on this!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

The interesting question is what counts as a strip club. We have a fair number of "fetish"and "lingerie modeling" establishments which I am pretty sure must just be brothels, essentially. On the other end of the spectrum, we have a lot of bars which will put on burlesque or belly dancing one night per week which would be related as stripping in Virginia or whatever but isn't really even on the radar here.

Essentially I am saying the press may not ever get this right because the true answer is cannot be measured. We need to quantify boobs per hour, which is a monumental task.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Perhaps you can design a chip or robot or something that could help you out with this? Once you can start quantifying, you can start rating strip clubs and you'd own the market for this sort of data.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Designing the robot to perform the count is easy. The difficult part is adding the capability to tip.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-2 ... h_way.html

I am hurt and offended that there isn't an all ages vegan restaurant that turns into a strip club at 7pm! I don't even know where I live any more.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://priceonomics.com/why-does-portla ... rip-clubs/

Fortunately, we have a blog to settle this. Houston has more strip clubs. Portland is the highest per capita in towns with more than 200,000 people.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

The real authority: the not-Mos-Def half of Blackstar!
The fly strip clubs in this country are in Atlanta and in Miami and and Portland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmD_PPFtvss