Davethegreat

For general rambling.
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Davethegreat

Post by Dave »

This thread was made to affirm my greatness for having the last post in every forum.

As for the thread subject. That was my ICQ name back in freshman year. Anyone still use that anymore? I think Trillian made me stop using multiple IMs so all i resorted to only AIM
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

No, I haven't run ICQ in years. Didn't AOL buy them anyway?

VLSmooth
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by VLSmooth »

Despite not using it, I still remember my ICQ number at least... 1 8 0 8 0 4 0 8

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I don't use ICQ anymore (nor AIM for that matter). I use GChat pretty much exclusively nowadays.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

7484692 oh yeah
i have a moderately small slashdot number too

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Is g-chat linked the same as that bar on the left of g-mail?
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Yep it's the same.

My ICQ # was 1645850. I was a fairly early adopter for that one.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

I still have all of my old ICQ logs and settings files. But they stopped being useable once they forced you to upgrade to some new version.
I feel like I just beat a kitten to death... with a bag of puppies.

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

15710181. How do we remember these things? I only used ICQ for a relatively short time, and haven't touched it in many years!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

All engineers secretly want to be numbered.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/googl ... yahoo.html

You can hook up Google Talk to ICQ/AIM/MSN/etc using a third party Jabber client. I have attempted this because my 770 has a Google Talk client. I have connected successfully to jabber.meta.net.nz (the only open Jabber server that would let me register on the AIM transport that I could find), and it found all my AIM contacts. I have authorized all of them.

When I check it in Gmail Chat, I don't see any of them. I don't think that's supposed to work, though it would be nice.

When I check it in Google Talk on the 770, I see all the AIM contacts, but I can't seem to connect to the jabber server. I don't know enough about the architecture of Jabber to know if I have to log in to jabber.meta.net.nz to communicate with aim.jabber.meta.net.nz folks, or if jabber.org is supposed to be smart enough to figure it out.

If anybody gets this working let me know. Hopefully Google will add a feature to make this easy soon.