Awesome

For general rambling.
Alan
Veteran Doodler

Awesome

Post by Alan »

20 inches of snow, half the city has lost power, 80 percent of roads are impassable due to downed trees.

SNOW DAY!

I can't remember the last time I had a snow day. Did we ever have one at CMU?

At 7 am the skies were orange, snow was covering everything, and lightning and thunder rumbled through the skies. And it was Friday the 13th. I thought it was the Apocalypse.

Have you ever heard of lightning and thunder happening during a snowstorm? I can't remember that ever happening in any snowstorm I've been in.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

There were days we had snow, and there were days I didn't go to classes. There might be days where I didn't go to classes and it snowed.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

I think the only time we didn't have class was for the power outage. Oh and for 9/11.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

My software engineering class group had our first meeting on 9/11. We all got there, and someone asked if we should reschedule. I said, since we were all there and it didn't look like any more attacks were likely, we might as well get on with the assignment. By some measures, I am truly a monster.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Re: Awesome

Post by quantus »

Alan wrote:At 7 am the skies were orange, snow was covering everything, and lightning and thunder rumbled through the skies. And it was Friday the 13th. I thought it was the Apocalypse.

Have you ever heard of lightning and thunder happening during a snowstorm? I can't remember that ever happening in any snowstorm I've been in.
Heh, yeah, that doesn't happen often, but I've seen it before in NY. It was the result of a particularly strong Noreaster I think. As you found out, it's more dangerous than a normal thunderstorm because it's not only violent, but you also get very heavy, wet snow from that sort of storm and all the messy, slippery fun that comes with it.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

bob
Poser

Re: Awesome

Post by bob »

Alan wrote:I can't remember the last time I had a snow day. Did we ever have one at CMU?
There was one during the first year of grad school. Were you still around at that point? I think it was something like 2 feet of snow over a weekend. Of course, snow day doesn't mean as much when you have projects instead of actual classes most of the time. I still rode my bike in to the PTC that day.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Yeah I was around, don't really remember it though.

We have another day off tomorrow because the school doesn't have power. Sweet.

But that just means we'll have all of our material smashed into less days. Fun.