printers

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

printers

Post by Jonathan »

Anybody bought a printer within the past few years? Recommendations?

We bought an Epson C84 inkjet a couple years ago. The ink dried up in the tube after a year; nozzle cleaning doesn't help. On the internet, some people have repaired it by disassembling the printer and blowing out the dried ink, but I am dissatisfied with the quality of this printer and will not be buying any more Epson ink.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

I'm on my third since graduation. Started with a cheap Lexmark (Z23?), but it simply stopped printing one day. Mediocre quality and the ink cost more than the printer (which itself cost the same as the USB cable it didn't include). So, it got replaced with a cheap Epson multifunction injet (CX4600). Same problem as yours, ink kept drying out faster than I could use it. Finally made the mistake of printing on an inkjet-compatible transparency. Ink got everywhere, and what I couldn't blot up dried blocking everything. I could still print a couple lines of yellow after that, but that really wasn't what I wanted from a printer.

So, I'm 0 for 2 on inkjets. My current, which is moderately satisfying is a Samsung SCX-4100 multifunction B&W laser. Its biggest visible flaw so far is that the manual feed never aligns right, so you get cockeyed printouts and the curl it puts into paper its printed on causes it to wrinkle if printed again. I.e., duplex is generally unsuccessful. Otherwise, it does what I expect and it was fairly cheap. Looks like Newegg sold out and is on to the next model.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

I bought the cheapest HP B&W laser at home depot. Been fairly happy wiht the results and it's still going after about 2 years. I don't print much though, I'm still on my first ink cartridge.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Im too poor for printer and just leech off work
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

I think HPs are generally pretty reliable. My parents used their HP inkjet for something like a decade. But I'm too much of a cheap ass to pay the premium price, so instead I've paid it twice over buying more ink and more printers. Probably a lesson to learn there, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jason wrote:I bought the cheapest HP B&W laser at home depot.
I hope I don't have to drive out to the home depot for a new printer. There's an office depot right around the corner from me.

Yeah, laser. It's probably a worthwhile investment with Amber being back in school.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=222-1681

Dell 1110 for $84. Consumer Reports says it is good.

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

The best deal I've seen in B&W lasers is the Brother HL-1440, and presumably its descendants. I've had one for several years, my dad has one at home and one at the office, and I know of several other people who also have one at home and one at the office. Everybody's happy with it. You can get it at OfficeMax, and it works well with a variety of operating systems (PCL4 emulation, plus good native support).

Current prices are:
HL-5140 $130 (most direct descendant model?)
HL-2040 $80
HL-2070N $115

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, Dell is PC only, which is no good. Odds are Amber's next laptop will be a Mac.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dwindlehop wrote:Yeah, laser. It's probably a worthwhile investment with Amber being back in school.
What's she studying?
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Grad degree in Psychology. Probably doctorate of psychology.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dwindlehop wrote:Grad degree in Psychology. Probably doctorate of psychology.
My girlfriend (and eventual fiancée?) is finishing up an MS in educational psychology and she's thinking about going on for a Doctorate, but probably not right away.
Last edited by quantus on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

quantus wrote:(and eventual fiancé?)
Does she know yet? :P

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

yeah, we've been discussing it for a while. I just can't afford the ring and school at the same time. :( I'll figure something out over the next few months, so stay tuned. :)

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

way to use the snooty é, but unforunately for you it's fiancée unless perhaps there's something you want to tell us.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

How much do greencards cost these days?!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dwindlehop wrote:way to use the snooty é, but unforunately for you it's fiancée unless perhaps there's something you want to tell us.
Nope, nothing to say other than I'm dumb and didn't know there were actually two different words for male vs. female.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

SODOMIST DETECTED

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Dave wrote:SODOMIST DETECTED
In FL? Yeah, no kidding, you're a little behind on the news

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

bob wrote:Current prices are:
HL-5140 $130 (most direct descendant model?)
HL-2040 $80
HL-2070N $115
I picked up the 2040 for $80 at Office Max.