TV Series Boxed Sets?

For general rambling.
Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

TV Series Boxed Sets?

Post by Dave »

Since I'm not one of those tivo nuts and record everything on the tv that is remotely interesting, I end up missing a ot of shows that are cool/nerdy/etc. Like battlestar, grey's anatomy, desperate housewives even. How many of you guys caved in and bought the dvd box sets instead of downloading them?

I dled Lost S1 and got a *cough* region 5/6 version of the Scrubs series.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

i essentially use netflix for 90% of show watching. we got rid of cable.

"you've got the touch, you've got the power!"

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

I stopped watching TV, I still have cable for internet connection.

But yeah, I buy some box set DVDs. I know George owns a few as well.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Hmm yea, I was trying to find Lost season 2, and could only find full dvds and only scattered episodes, which I have neither the HD space for really care to keep looking for.

For Netflicks, they seem to work on a per-DVD basis, so you can only get 1DVD of like 5 at a time or 3/5 depending on whatever plan?

Shows I've been told to watch/wouldn't mind watching:
Smallville
Lost
Battlestar
Grey's Anatomy
Scrubs
Desperate Housewives
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Veronica Mars is another good series. It's kind of like Buffy but not.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

we have cable internet. we just got rid of the video.

netflix works like this. you get N discs at once for a flat fee. N goes from 1-8. You can receive as many discs as you can subject to the vagaries of the postal system and their mailing service. There's also a 2 disc per month capped at 4 discs total that is a little cheaper.

and yeah, it kinds sucks for TV since they spread those fuckers out over six discs.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Family Guy is good. We missed it the first time around, but since Fox picked it up again it's been growing on us.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/fe ... 73-3283150

Some cheap boxed sets...

Buffy for $20 per season
X-Files for $25 per season
Angel and Roswell for $30 per season (too expensive still I think)
and some other Sci Fi stuff from FOX
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I decided not to buy any boxed sets to watch once and collect dust like all those Playstation games. But I did watch Lost Season 2 and love how stupid it's gotten.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

For the most part, I agree, but there is the odd series I watch multiple times. Still, hard drives take up much less space than all those stupid boxes.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Speaking of HD space, I have a 40GB HD at my work computer, but only had access to 20Gb of it. I figured the rest was used my something else or other users/admins. But apparently our amazing IT team only decided to just format a 20Gb partition and leave the rest doing squat while I was running out of HD space regularly. Anyways, now I have 2 20GB partitions... yay?

Martin
Chump

Post by Martin »

My top nonexistent box set is Daria. Apparently licensing the pop songs is difficult (despite the fact that they're all like 10 years old now).

A cheap one is The Critic (primarily because the series was so short). Also, I haven't actually gotten it but I vote for Pete & Pete.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I just bought seasons 3-5 of Smallville because I liked season 1. sad eh?

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

Dave wrote:I just bought seasons 3-5 of Smallville because I liked season 1. sad eh?
not really. It's a fairly good series. I haven't seen much of it, but liked almost everything I've watched of it.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

George
Veteran Doodler

Post by George »

I already have the first six, and I paid around $25 apiece.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

beacuse tv show fan sites have like, the best links ever.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Watched all 5 seasons and now im in Smallville withdrawl. Actually, most of the episodes now are pretty retarded. The only ones really worth watching are the 1st and last episodes of the season.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

Smallville sucks, moved onto The Office!

Go Team Karen!

http://www.zulkey.com/choosesides.html

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

So as I was self-checking out of walmart yesterday I saw TV series boxed sets being placed right next to beef jerky at the checkout. I didn't know they were impluse buys now.