drinks for men of taste and distinction

For general rambling.
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

drinks for men of taste and distinction

Post by Jonathan »

Men, sometimes a margarita is not appropriate. Sometimes you will find yourself surrounded by Texans and you'll need to order something stronger than beer. Sometimes you need a manly drink.

Jack Daniel's is truly atrocious neat. I haven't tried any of the other national brands. Edgefield Distellery Hogshead Whiskey is pretty good, but local. I had an Irish whiskey at the Irish bar, but I forgot what it was called.

Whiskey sours are not manly. Gin and tonic seems to be OK. Tequila gimlet is basically a martini, but with tequila and lime.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

henessey and coke is a good way to go.
(obviously the jack and coke standard also works. I knew a guy who liked jack and dr. pepper which is a bit much).
rum and coke is the usual catch all.
vodka tonic works, but probably not with texans.
if you're with asians, then a mojito usually works.
if you're about to get on a plane, i recommend a white russian.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

I learned on my trip to Puerto Rico while visiting the Bacardi Distillery that aged rums are WAY better than what you'd normally buy in stores, namely Bacardi Silver and Bacardi Gold. Bacardi Select (aged 6 years) is where it's at and Barardi 8 anno (aged 8 years if you couldn't tell from the name). They're so smooth you can drink them without having to mix with with something sweet like Coke. Apparently, the aging process works twice as fast as with Scotch or Brandy because of the climate.

Anyways, the Bacardi Tour was free and each person gets two free drink tickets.
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

bob
Poser

Post by bob »

As a Texan, I like drinking anything with tequila. This includes margarita, tequila sunrise, tequila sunset, tequila gimlet, and tequila on the rocks. You could also get adventurous and ask the bartender to "put tequila and something else in a glass". I've gotten picky, though, and really prefer top shelf. I don't really know what to recommend to go along with other Texans drinking, though. If you want beer, maybe a Shiner Bock?

Whatever you might end up drinking, I wouldn't bother drinking something that tastes bad just to go along with everyone else. When people offer to make me a surprise drink, I just request "no vodka, no whiskey".

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

I agree with Joe's assestment of Rum. I got a few bottles of Brugal from the Dominican Republic when I was down there and it's amazing. It's about as smooth as water. Actually, I would recommend drinking rum instead of water when you're down there.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

So when do we roll initiative?
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

after 5 shots of rum... assuming you can actually still focus enough to pick up the die.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Jason wrote:I agree with Joe's assestment of Rum. I got a few bottles of Brugal from the Dominican Republic when I was down there and it's amazing. It's about as smooth as water. Actually, I would recommend drinking rum instead of water when you're down there.
Yes, lots of Rum plus lots of sun equals a very good time. Yeah, you might remember only bits and pieces, but you'll know that it was fun whatever happened.

I now understand why pirates prefer rum.

Jason
Veteran Doodler

Post by Jason »

I don't know about the 5 shots. It takes more for some ...

There used to be this open bar thing we used to go to and I had six rum and cokes in about the span of 45 minutes to try and catch up. I was feeling good. Don't even remember crossing the street to get dinner.

Pretty sure I could have rolled initiative though.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

"Catching up" is always such a good idea...

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Okay, I have been doing a lot of research on this and also I have purchased a bartending book.

Bulleit Bourbon is my new preferred whiskey. Maker's Mark is also ok. For bourbon, neat or in a Manhattan are my preferred manly cocktails. Jameson 12 is a good Irish whiskey. There's a cheaper Irish that I can't remember right now that's also OK. Scotch whisky is not my bag, but Glen* is acceptable. Both should be served neat.

Mount Gay rum is an excellent aged gold rum at a very good price. Don't get the Eclipse unless you particularly want a dark rum. I don't.

Jose Cuervo Tradicional is the only Jose Cuervo worth drinking. At bars, I've had some decent tequila served up, but I couldn't tell you the brand.

Gin is really a matter of taste. Amber prefers Aviation. I prefer Tanqueray. Bombay Extra Dry is also fine. A gin gimlet is my preferred gin cocktail. Amber likes the martini.

In other news, a lemon drop is incredibly easy to make but is an impressive cocktail to serve to guests. However, it is the opposite of manly. There aren't any manly ways of drinking vokda that I like. Amber likes Portland 88 served up. All vodka and gin should be stored in the freezer and served either up or on the rocks.

In my opinion, on the rocks is not manly at all despite being a fairly common recurring motif. Neat or straight up is the manly way.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Jason wrote:henessey and coke is a good way to go.
I've learned that henessey on the rocks is pretty smooth. Having it neat is not quite palatable for me...

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

Oh, when I went to Brazil, I learned about Caipirinhas. Mmm mmm good and pretty strong! They equate cachaca with vodka more than rum even though it's made from sugar cane, and at 80 proof, I'd agree! You should keep cachaca in the freezer like vodka also. Sugar + frozen alcohol made from sugar + lime for the win!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I like caipirinhas. I've never had cachaca in anything but a caipirinha. I did have a bad caipirinha once, so I suppose the the cachaca you use matters.

I've not tried a bunch of them, but I generally dislike blended Scotch. I've very little experience with cognac and brandy.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Though I will note that liqueurs, by themselves, are definitely not my thing. I'm a liquor man.

Also, liquor is totally more manly than liqueur. :P

skanks
Poser

Post by skanks »

As a New Mexican, I basically support every established drink with tequilla. (Bob has already listed them). However, I concede that the typical American Margarita is not a "manly" drink. The typically American Margarita is overly sweet and watered down -- basically a slushie with some Cuervo thrown in there.

Similarly the Sangria is another fine Spanish beverage bastardized by Middle America. Now, I'm not a judgmental guy or some sort of Alcohol Inquisitor. If you want to drink that Boone's Farm shit and/or use it to grease the panties off some coed and you get away with it even though you're pushing 30, more power to you. But I do with to emphasize the distinction between an authentic Spanish concoction -- one that shines with an Clark Gable/Inigo Montoya/Antonio Banderas sophistication -- and the cheap imitation's preferred by our nation's Spring Break-ers.

The Mojito has a similar sad story. Even Cidra, "hard" apple cider, is being coopted, sweetened, watered down, and dolled-up. Which surprises me because Cider has a hearty, robust flavor to quench one's winter hunger.

In fact every Spanish drink you name is girly or neutral at best. America's bastardization is culpable, but ultimately we must face the hard truth: Spanish drinks will always be readily co-opted because these drinks. are in some way or another meant to appeal to women. Why? Because Spanish men really just want to get laid.

Let us look to another Nation for guidance in our search for the manly beverage. That nation is Russia. Kremlin studies have consistently demonstrated that given a choice between good alcohol and good sex, the Russian man will choose good alcohol. And the alcohol he chooses is Vodka. Vodka straight-up. There's your manly drink.

Peijen
Minion to the Exalted Pooh-Bah

Post by Peijen »

skanks wrote:If you want to drink that Boone's Farm shit and/or use it to grease the panties off some coed and you get away with it even though you're pushing 30, more power to you.
Is ther any other reason? :?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Your choice as I read skanks' post (and I heartily agree) is between drinking manly drinks and dating women or drinking wuss drinks and dating girls.
There aren't any manly ways of drinking vokda that I like.
I agree vodka stored in the freezer and served neat or up is a good, manly drink. I just don't like it, unless it's ridiculously fruity (Citron or Mandarin). The one saving grace here is that flavored vodkas are not colored, so with a bit of misdirection one can pass.

We could have separate beer and wine threads. For some reason, I can remember an exhaustive list of beers I have tried, ones which I liked, styles I prefer, aspects of the taste I am after, but I can barely remember anything about wine. Also, I only like really sweet wine, anyway.

Warm sake is reasonably manly and pretty good. I just point at a mid-priced one since I don't know the names.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Let's talk tequila. I'll offer up the silver Milagro as an excellent choice for keeping in the house, as it only costs $25 and makes a hell of a mixed drink. Personally, I like 2 oz. tequila, 1 oz. Cointreau, 1 oz. lime juice, served up.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I edited the topic title because I think my shorthand was being too obtuse.